I LOVE sweet rice!
It's sweet! It's sticky! It's just awesome!
Being asian, I get to eat so many yummy sweets, made from sweet rice or sweet rice flour, that my friends are just now getting into, like rice cakes or sticky rice cakes. The anime geeks will know them as mochi.
I love a Viet dessert/breakfast called xoi. Xoi is just steamed sweet rice in coconut milk. Usually it is made with red or black beans and toppped with crushed peanuts mixed with sugar and then topped again with sliced coconut. I really like it. They're also served with mung beans.
I haven't had xoi in a while. Living in Denver and at least 20 minutes away from the small Vietnamese district isn't exactly conducive to getting anything Viet.
Now that I finally got my rice flour. I can make yummy rice flour treats. I have never made anything with sweet rice so I'm going to experiment with different recipes and ways to make them. Soon, I'll share a recipe.
Now, for something completely unrelated. Here's a really good savory biscuit recipe. I like to eat it with curry. Yum.
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 pkg cream cheese (about 32oz or so)
1/4 tbsp butter
2/3 cups milk (tea)
green onion, basil, and/or garlic
1. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt well.
2. Cut in (mix) the cream cheese and butter with the flour mixture
3. Add garlic and either basil or green onion and/or other herbs and spices that you want
4. Make a little well or indent in the middle and then pour in the milk ( I like to use tea because it gives off a nice little fragance and it's not too dairy).
5. Mix and knead
6. Pull out little clumps of dough and then bake for 12-15 minutes.
7. Enjoy =)