Sunday, January 18, 2009

Food - The Best Medicine (Ultimate Tomato Soup - Recipe)

Food is the best cure for most illnesses. I say most because there are so many illnesses caused by the toxic we create in our society today. Food, no matter how good it good, even nutrition wise, cannot save a man from a sickness created by synthetic chemicals.

Still, for the most part good, nutritious food will be able to cure most ailments.

Michael hadn't been feeling so great the last couple days. He slept and ate in inconsistent schedules in addition to working and stressing excessively. So, he woke up not feeling too good.

Food to the rescue.

I would normally make him some sort of noodle soup. I would have loved to make him "Pho", the vietnamese equivalent of chicken noodle soup. Only to the Vietnamese, they are more of a treat and we calculate our wealth according to how many bowls of Pho we can buy with our salary. But I didn't have all the ingredients for it, most importantly, the ingredient with curing abilities. Also, I've been making a lot of noodle soup dishes, and so he requested that I make non noodle soup...soup.

Here's a great curing soup. Tasty too.

Ultimate Tomato Soup

carrots
celery
tomatoes
garlic
onions
can tomato paste/soup
1 can of chicken broth


preheat oven to 425 degrees
cut tomatoes in fourths
season with garlic, dry basil, and salt
place on baking tray drizzle with a olive oil
bake for about 12-15 mins

saute garlic and rings of onions in butter on high heat
add carrots
when carrots is a little tender
add celery
let it cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 mins
turn heat half way down
add chicken soup
wait til boil
add tomato paste/soup
add baked tomatoes
stir and let simmer for about 10 - 20 mins

If you would like you can add little meatballs as it simmers.

Porky's Favorite Meatballs

Pork
finely chopped onion
1 egg
salt and pepper


combine all ingredients and rolls into balls
add to soup


My meatball had a little too much eggs in it. So, it spread out to the soup, but it only enhances the taste. I really liked it.

Michael and Peter ( and I, too) devoured this soup.

Ever since we moved in together, Peter had had mostly Asian dishes: curry, bo kho (Vietnamese beef stew), bo luc lac (shaken beef), ramen, udon soup, assorted Japanese bread, etc. But, I think I will be making more of either Italian dishes or Spanish dishes. My little baking binge is almost over I think. At least for now.

Happy Eating!

No comments: